Mortuary Musing
a mortuary science student's perspective on the study of the dead

The Fall Class Schedule



(CSC Original Post 09-16-09)

Hey everyone,

I’m back again to supply all your wildest fantasies about mortuary science. Don’t get too excited on me now.

This week I’ve been a bit sick so it has been extra hard to write. The thoughts that are coursing through my mind have no real attention span, and I’ve been losing complete focus on everything I’ve been trying to write about. So I decided to switch gears and write about something that doesn’t take too much concentration to focus on—the first year fall semester classes for the Mortuary Science program.

Please try to contain your excitement. For those who are already taking the Mortuary Science program, this topic is probably something that you are not jumping out of your chairs to read about. That’s okay. This particular blog are for the people who might have some interest in the Mortuary Science program. It’ll give them an idea of what classes they’ll be taking. And besides, reading is good for you anyways. It helps your brain. You’ve seen those NBC’s “The More You Know” PSA ads. If that doesn’t convince you, then I’ll add pictures if that will make you happy.

With the Mortuary Science program, everyone in the program pretty much takes the same classes. You might not be in the same exact course section with your other classmates for some classes, but they are taking that same class. I’m going to give a rundown on my class schedule this fall. Hopefully it will give you an idea on what to expect. You’ll probably notice Mondays and Wednesdays are my busy days. With my job and classes I am here at the school for 12 hours each day.

History of Mortuary Science

This class starts at 8 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays in building H and is taught by Matt Kendall. Right now we are going over how the funeral practice or service has evolved over history from the Pagans, to the Egyptians, to the Greeks, Romans and so forth (at least that is what I hope the class is about—we have our first exam next week). It is an interesting class that will show you how the funeral business became how it is today. Also, I would like to say right now all the mortuary science classes I’m taking are interesting. They are not boring or dreadful like some subjects I have taken in the past.


Mortuary Law

Hopefully the name of the class is self-explanatory. This class is also taught by Matt Kendall in building H and starts at 9:30 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. This course covers federal and state laws funeral directors and businesses must follow. There is a research paper that is due towards the end of the semester by Thanksgiving break. I think that about sums it up. There is an exam next week in this class as well.


Psychology of Grief and Dying

This class starts at 11 a.m. in building H on Mondays and Wednesdays and is taught by Tim Kruause. I should point out really quick that these first three classes are in the same room in building H. There is usually a 15-minute break between each class, which people will usually take advantage to leave the room and go outside and stand around in a little circle. You can smoke, eat or just talk but there is always a little circle. It just happens.

Let’s get back to the topic. The class is basically a Psychology class that focuses more on grief and dying that also requires a research paper to be turned in around Thanksgiving time. We did have a test this past Wednesday over some terminology. I didn’t really get a chance to study for the test due to being horribly sick, so I did take advantage of that 15-minute break before class to cram as much information as I could in that little circle outside.


Concepts of Chemistry

At first I was nervous I had to take Chemistry. Actually the thought of it made my skin cringe. I never taken a chemistry class before, but I already had a notion in my head that I hated chemistry. I didn’t want to know it. It turns out Chemistry class isn’t that bad. I have to give kudos to the teacher Timothy Johnson for that. He’s really patient with his students.

I don’t think I have to explain what chemistry is all about. My class time is Mondays and Wednesdays 5:15 to….I’m not sure what time the class gets out. It’s a night class. But chemistry class is not as bad as you might think it is. Well, at least my class isn’t.


Anatomy & Physiology

This is probably the main class everyone in the Mortuary Science program is really worried about this semester. The tension sometimes sinks underneath your skin. This class is a lot of work and I’ll admit is not easy. But if you study hard or study with some other people, that extra work will help you. I took an exam this past Tuesday for Anatomy & Physiology. A majority of people in the class was nervous about the exam, but overall the A & P class did well. I only miss one question on the exam. So I’m happy.

I have no complaints about my A & P class. I am in a class that is full of nurses. There are about 31 or 32 students and I am one of three guys in the class. Statistics like that a guy can’t complain.

The course is taught by Dave Burns and my class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1 p.m. I won’t lie—he is a tough, but excellent instructor. I do highly recommend him for A & P. You will learn the material, even if sometimes it feels like you are hanging from a short rope. But there are people in the class you can rely on for help if you don’t understand parts of the material.

This has been a brief view of the classes all Mortuary Science students are taking this fall. Of course, my experiences in Chemistry and A & P might be different from some of the other students. But these are the classes you can expect to take for the fall term as a first year student at Carl Sandburg College.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grab a Badge


Drop Your Card!

Followers